ODE TO AN OTTER – 10 OTTERLY COOL sea otter facts.
- It’s fur is the densest of any animal (nearly 1 million per sq in!)
- They're smart! They use rocks as tools when feeding, one of the few mammals to do so.
- The population fell to under 2000 in 1910 due to extensive hunting.
- Sea otters often hold hands while sleeping to keep from drifting apart.
- Sea otters eat sea urchins, crustaceans and some species of fish.
- They wrap themselves in kelp to keep from drifting out to sea.
- Sea otters rest together in groups call rafts.
- The largest raft ever seen contained over 2000 sea otters!
- Pups sleep on their mothers until they learn how to swim.
- Sea otters are among the most devoted mothers in the animal kingdom giving their pups near constant attention. It is a bond like NO OTTER.
Enjoy the pictures that have inspired the designs!